Alright. It is the night before the draft so, here are just some random thoughts on how I feel going into Thursday night:
– Since Dallas is picking at 28, I don’t think I’m going to be really upset with anyone we pick. It could really go so many different ways. You’ll never know who will drop down to the bottom of Round 1 or which team is going to reach for a prospect. It’s going to be interesting to say the least.
– I have to speak out on a couple of prospects that have gotten a lot of attention this draft season. First: T.J. Watt. I feel like there are a lot of Cowboys fans on his hype train. So Let me be clear here: I think T.J. Watt will have a chance at having a good NFL career. I don’t dislike him. I think he is talented. But I absolutely don’t want him to be the pick at 28. Looking back at last CFB season, I don’t remember him being even mentioned as one of the top pass rushers in CFB. Now, that we’ve gone through the “process”, he’s all the sudden a “can’t miss” prospect? My reasons for not wanting Dallas to draft him at 28 are legit, I think. First off, he is NOT a fit in our defense. He looks and plays like an ideal fit as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Last time I checked, Dallas runs a 4-3. If you want to sell him as a potential 4-3 end, you have to realize that it will be a project. I DONT want a “project player” at 28. I want someone ready to contribute. I watched the highlights. I’ve seen the charts. Etc. The majority of his highlights are him getting a free run at a OT or a blocking RB. That won’t be the case as a 4-3 defensive end. He isn’t experienced as a “hands on the ground” defensive lineman or as a guy that can attract double teams. Plus, he also has some injury red flags. If Dallas goes for an edge rusher at 28, I bet there will be a better fit or a better player than T.J. Watt available. I think people are stuck on that fact that his last name is Watt. I watch these analysts talk him up and the second thing out their mouths is “Well, he’s JJ Watt’s little brother….” That speaks volumes to me. Watt is a solid second round pick but some team is going to reach for him because of his name. I just hope that it isn’t Dallas.
– Usually during this time, I’m screaming for Dallas to take a pass rusher in the first round. I mean, year after year and it is still a problem on this football team. But I think Dallas might have more pressing needs on defense. I think many are forgetting that the Cowboys lost THREE starters in the secondary. Luckily for Dallas, this draft is deep with defensive backs. I mocked Kevin King to Dallas in my mock draft so I obviously like him. I also like Chidobe Awuzie and Adoree’ Jackson.
– I feel like during this draft process, many have soured of Michigan Safety Jabrill Peppers. Peppers like T.J. Watt maybe one of the most over hyped players in the draft but I think he is a prospect that Dallas has to consider. Reason Number One: WE HAVE NO STRONG SAFETY. I like the Jeff Heath jokes and memes but trust me, we don’t want him to be a starter on this defense. I think Peppers is getting a bad wrap because of the way Michigan used him in their defense. But I think he would be a fit as a in the box safety with our defense. The dude is a hitter and he has blazing speed. I don’t think it is out of the question that he could develop into a player who could be better than Barry Church. I think the Cowboys have to look at the safety position and if Peppers is there at 28, I think it will be hard for us to pass.
– If Dallas decides to go pass rusher tomorrow night, here is my order of preference: Takk McKinley, Charles Harris, Taco Charlton. Takk was an injury red flag but I think his talent over shadows that. Charles Harris like T.J. Watt is better suited for the 3-4 but I like his motor better. Taco has a cool name but he’s slow and not dynamic. In terms of Day 2 guys, I like Jordan Willis and Tarell Basham.
– I don’t like the idea of Kellen Moore being the backup going into this season. I would like Dallas to target a QB in the draft probably in rounds 4 or 5. Nathan Peterman or Joshua Dobbs could be guys on my radar.
– I think Dallas will draft a Lance Dunbar replacement in this draft. It will either be San Diego State’s Donnel Pumphrey or North Carolina’s T.J. Logan.
– I’m not buying the team’s reported interest in USC WR JuJu Smith-Schuster. I mean, he may be a good player but I feel that Dallas is pretty set at WR. If we draft a WR, who could he realistically push out? Butler? Whitehead?
I think that’s all I got. These are just my opinions. Feel free to disagree or debate. Tomorrow should be interesting. As always, its “Go Cowboys” and “How Bout Em”.